Tuesday, July 01, 2008

buzzzzz...where did the hair go?


So yes, to answer your question, I did indeed shave my head. It was a fantastic time filled with wonderful friends, wine and dessert. A few girlfriends came over around 7pm and I think we put off the hair voyage until 10. We started with a nice little thing called a mohawk. I sported that for a bit then it had to go. I don't know if it was a true mohawk since it started at my forehead and only went to the middle of my head due to crown hair loss...

If you're wondering how I am doing ala bald, I am doing ok. I have about 1/4" of length, so no razor was required, but it's an adjustment for sure. It really changes my whole look. Clothes look different, as well as make up and all that. I don't normally wear makeup but I feel a stronger need now. I know that people have a way different first impression of me... I think that can be both liberating and scary at the same time. Scary because what if a person's first impression of me isn't who I really am? Like a "bad ass" or a "lesbian" (nothing wrong with that, but narrow minded people might think that based on stereotypes) or a "meth head'? OK, I don't think I could pass for the last one. It can be liberating because I am being put into a whole other frame of mind. I was walking down Mississippi today after yoga and thought that if someone I know was right there, they probably wouldn't recognize me. Now would that be bad or good, no idea. But I do know that it's all about me right now and now what other people think. Anyway, its all an experience and as hard as it is, I know I'll look back and appreciate it.

No comments: