Saturday, May 02, 2009

evolving blog

My ever evolving (or ever droning on) blog is taking yet another turn. I am going to document my progress while training for the Portland marathon which is on October 4, 2009. At first, I was going to start a new blog for this since I will hopefully have a lot of visitors. However, I have joined Team in Training (TNT) which is part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. Since lymphoma was such a big part of my life and also this blog, I think this journey should documented as ongoing... life after cancer.

Here is a blurb on TNT:
TNT is the world's largest endurance sports training program providing training to run or walk marathons and half marathons, triathlons and century (100 mile) bike rides. This unique program provides you with the coaching, training and even the travel opportunities to make your athletic goals a reality. It's an unbeatable offer with great personal rewards.

In exchange for training and support, you raise money which benefits research for cures of leukemia, Hodgkin lymphoma, non-Hodgkin lymphoma and myeloma, as well as providing patient services and education programs. In the past 20 years, more than 380,000 participants have raised over $900 million for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society!

On here I will update everyone on my training progress. I also will update people on my fundraising since I am going to rely on all of you to help me meet my goal of raising $1600. 75% of the funds I raise go directly to the cause. The other 25% is for overhead, my fees for the race and team events. I am sure there will also be some bitching and moaning on here too since I'm not even sure how I am going to accomplish running 26 miles... I mean really? I officially start training May 16th with my team. However, I have been running again since January. Since I wasn't able to run after the bleomycin incident I had to start from scratch. I was at one mile in January. Before my trip, I was up to 3.5 then after all the italy, pasta and wine non-sense I was back down to 2.5. I am up to 4 now with a long run each of the past two weeks at 6 miles. Tomorrow I am running the Cinco de Mayo 10K... This is mainly for the beer though. :)

Anyway, stay tuned on my progress.

TO DONATE:
pages.teamintraining.org/or/portland09/dviar

No comments: