Tuesday, December 30, 2008

sayonara radiation!

Since I have been hassled to update my blog, here it goes!

I guess I have been so distracted by other things in life I have quickly moved on from the ol’ treatment days! I actually reflect upon my experience almost daily, but it has become a more personal/private thing. So much happened this year that it is hard to take it all in. While I believe I am now stronger from all of it, I am anxious to welcome 2009 and what it has to offer!

I ended radiation treatment on November 14th. After my complications with my throat, I had to take a few days off and when I started back up they began to block that area on one side. Now the only thing I am experiencing is rashy skin outbreaks and a lot of fatigue.

I had a follow up appointment with Dr. Smith (oncologist) the Friday before Christmas. My blood work was pretty normal, with the white blood count being a little low. He said it’s still rebounding from the radiation. It still amazes me how resilient the body is but how it does it all in the background. When I told him I was still tired all the time he said that was normal and would last for quite some time… I just feel like I should magically be back to normal! I guess it will take a bit to get back into the shape I prefer to be in and miss. I have started back up my Organics to You delivery so I am making sure to get my veggies. I also take a ton of vitamins to help out my skin and growth of my hair. I went for a run with Porter the other day and that royally kicked my ass. I guess I just need to stick with it though!

In other news, I am taking guitar lessons starting next week. I am looking forward to it, but not sure if I coordinated enough to do it! Guess I’ll find out. I also had the fortune to go to Houston on my dad to surprise my mom for Christmas. She was definitely surprised! While I still can’t say anything good about the city of Houston itself, it was so special to be with my family. Cydny is huge! I’ll post a pic soon.

And the biggest news of all … I rebooked my ticket to Rome! I get to go March 14 – April 4, 2009. I am SO EXCITED! Now all I need to do is figure out how to pay for the rest of it.:) I unfortunately had to use all my savings to live on for the 5 months I didn’t work. I am crossing my fingers for a fat tax return, but since I only made a 1/3 of my salary last year that is doubtful. I guess there is always powerball!

Anyway, I hope this post if finding you all happy, healthy and enjoying the holidays. Have a great new year!

3 comments:

The Mendes Family said...

Yay! You updated your blog, I really enjoy reading about your updates. I hope you have a very wonderful New Year and a great 2009!

Jaime said...

You're going to Rome!!!! I am so excited for you!...and a little jealous too :)

Mindi said...

I am excited for you and happy that you get to go back to Rome. Hopefully 2009 is a fabulous year for you!